Re: ustring::validate() costs?

Murray Cumming wrote:
Is ISO-8859-1 the default (German, I guess) encoding, or did you change
it?

I think it's the system default (I remember setting the locale to en_US because setting it to de_DE would make all systems messages to appear in German which I didn't want). Maybe I screwed up with the locale settings, I'll check again asap, I don't have my notebook at hand right now.

But regardless how much I possibly screwed up my locale settings and charset encodings, the question why other Gtk+ applications don't seem to have problems with this probably messed up situation remains.

Looks as if my best chance right now is to try to recover from character conversion errors by setting the filename in question to something like "<unknown filename>" or so, in order to at least keep the program flow alive.

Regards,
Matthias