Need to run as setuid, please read before flaming

I have a program that needs to access the parallel port directly, read data from it, display the data and possibly read data again. The program needs to be setuid to access the parallel ports and it needs to be as real-time as possible because I am timing the inputs. I can't use a helper application because that's another process running, which further limits the accuracy of the timing. I plan to boot the machine off of a CD with no HD, so I don't care about security holes (currently the machines reside in locked cabinets and have no network card, so it really doesn't matter what they try to do to it).

How does gtkmm/gtk detect that the program is setuid?

I have tried forking ( fork() and vfork() ) the gtkmm part and even reassigning the effective UID and GID to their proper values.

What can I do about it?

I can include a link to source code if needed.

Why wasn't this an issue until last week?

I'm running Mandriva 2005 and 2006 and I know the obvious answer to this question, but it's really frustrating.

Thank you,
    Jeff Robins

PS: I have no problem giving credit to the person who provides the answer, in the program.