Re: Libpropc++

On Friday 19 August 2005 14:09, Foster Gareth wrote:

> I'm only following the thread of discussion here, I don't claim to know
> whether this is an LGPL issue that directly affects gtkmm folks, and I am
> sure the people behind this project are knowledgeable enough to choose the
> right license for the job.
>
> I am more interested in the development of the C++ programming language,
> the discusion of the export keyword for example. Obviously that is of
> interest to all of us, in the sense that we are all C++ users, and in the
> sense that, as you said, _some people_ interpret the lgpl/comercial
> software combination as being problematic.

I am glad you are sure they intended what you say, and I agree with your
assessment, but if so I am sure (to the extent that the LGPL can be construed
at all) that they have not achieved it.  The licence is construed on the
terms on which it is given.  It requires any person creating an executable
using templated classes or functions released under the LGLP to make the
object code (the executable) freely available.  That is why libstdc++ doesn't
use it (and why libprocpc++ does, as like the Qt library developers the
author wants an income and there is nothing wrong with that,  Incidentally
you may want to look at some of the links on his site, they are, shall I say,
unusual).

With libsigc++ this isn't too problematic, as there are only one or two
authors and they can relicense it.  With glibmm I really cannot recall if any
templates are used (outside libsigc++) other than Glib::RefPtr, but if not
the code for that is so trivial that it could be rewritten in about 20
minutes.  Therefore, so far as gtkmm is concerned relicensing libsigc++ would
avoid the problem.

A proprietary user would also calculate whether anyone holding copyrights to
libsigc++ (Martin Schulze?) is actually going to make an issue of it.  That
is quite unlikely but on a major commercial project their IP lawyer would no
doubt have something to say about it.

Actually, anyone using GTK+ should do an audit to see if it employs any macros
or inline functions exceeding 10 lines in length.  I wonder if anyone
actually does this?

Chris