Creating a DrawingArea scroll-capable

I'm writing a sort of hex editor.
Ithought to use a drawing area for the display.
As the area can scroll, I thought not to build a great drawing area an scrolling it througg a ScrolledWindow, but to build a Drawing Area derivative, implementing the on_set_scroll_adjustments callback and getting the events from the adjustments to scroll the content.

I browsed for a while in the documentation and the sources, but didn't find any clear way to create such an object.
Obviously I don't have a corresponding gtk++ underlying object to wrap.

Thank you
	Stefano Salvi