Re: GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file

Bob Caryl wrote:
> I'll stick my toe into this snakepit:  The way I understand it is that
> most linux opsys distros come with all the needed libraries installed in
> set paths like /usr/local or /opt/gnome.  If, when compiling your newest
> versions of these packages, you use --prefix='/usr/local' or
> --prefix='/opt/gnome' when you run ./configure and then are also sure to
> use pkg-config in your compile and link command lines for all the
> packages to which you're linking in your own applications, your
> applications should run on all similar opsys distros.  However, if you
> are telling your applications to look in a specific directory of your
> own making that may not exist on some other machine for those libraries,
> then your applications will indeed fail to run.

but, indeed I do tell my application where to look for the libraries,
with environment variables like LD_LIBRARY_PATH. and this is a
tried-and-true way of telling the dynamic linker where to locate shared
objects.

OTOH, it seems GTK+ is hard-coding locations into its libs about other
resources. by now, I found that the GDK pixmap module file location can
be overriden by the GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE environment varabile, see
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.4/gtk/gtk-running.html

but, I bumped into a second problem - pango seems to do the same wierd
thing of hard-coding paths and relying on them. so far, I have not found
a way to override the hard-coded location it uses for the pango.modules
file :(

Akos