Re: Type conversions

Hi Mert,

   Using the X-lib, IMHO, generally not a good idea, because it
   is too complex and platform dependent. Instead you can use gdk or
   other performance sensitive approaches.

   Excerpt from GTK+ FAQ at http://www.gtk.org/faq:

   * How do I get the Window ID of a GtkWindow? [GTK 2.x]
   The actual Gdk/X window will be created when the widget gets realized. You
   can get the Window ID with:

   #include <gdk/gdkx.h>
   Window xwin = GDK_WINDOW_XWINDOW (GTK_WIDGET (my_window)->window);

   * How do I render pixels (image data) to the screen?
   There are several ways to approach this. The simplest way is to use
   GdkRGB, see gdk/gdkrgb.h. You create an RGB buffer, render to your
   RGB buffer, then use GdkRGB routines to copy your RGB buffer to a
   drawing area or custom widget. The book "GTK+/Gnome Application
   Development" gives some details; GdkRGB is also documented in the
   GTK+ reference documentation.

   If you're writing a game or other graphics-intensive application, you
   might consider a more elaborate solution. OpenGL is the graphics
   standard that will let you access hardware accelaration in future
   versions of XFree86; so for maximum speed, you probably want to use
   OpenGL. A GtkGLArea widget is available for using OpenGL with GTK+
   (but GtkGLArea does not come with GTK+ itself). There are also
   several open source game libraries, such as ClanLib and Loki's Simple
   DirectMedia Layer library (SDL).

   You do NOT want to use gdk_draw_point(), that will be extremely slow.

HTH,

  Emre