Signals to and from menus

I have hacked away at the Gtk::Menu::popup() stuff to find that the way I
am popping up menus can not control where they pop up.

*sigh*

I come back to questions of when signals are emmited, and where to, beyond
the scope of the libsigc++ documentation.

1. When you click a title in a menubar, obviously a signal must be emited.
How can I hard-code it being emitted? (To trigger a submenu being opened)

2. There are other signals flying around on a menu hide(). What signal can
a menubar recieve when one of its members' (a menuitem) submenu is hidden?

-Sud.