Re: creating a vector of a vector of Gtk::ToggleButton

On Sat, 2004-10-30 at 08:36, Chris Vine wrote:
> On Thursday 28 October 2004 05:04, Carl Nygard wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 23:48, Paul Davis wrote:
> > > your mileage may vary as to whether you consider a ToggleButton to
> > > have "weight". note that this approach also means that vector::clear()
> > > (and container::clear() in general) does *not* free the objects
> > > pointed to, which can be problematic sometimes.
> >
> > I second that.  I usually use a smartptr to deal with the delete problem
> > in STL containers.
> >
> > <blatant plug>
> > If you don't want to use the boost lib, there's a decent smart pointer
> > implementation that I'm maintaining (originally from Kevin S. Van Horn)
> > at http://www.3sinc.com/opensource/  that should do the trick.
> > </blatant plug>
>
> This is quite clever.  A "swiss pen knife" of smart pointers, with four for
> the price of one - shared pointer, invasive pointer, clone-referenced-object
> pointer and a copy-referenced-object-on-write pointer.  I am not sure I would
> ever want to use of the last of those.

Yeah, I usually use ::spnwm or ::spdwm in most cases.

> It might be useful to add a pure scoped pointer, one which does not clone a
> referenced object (even if the referenced object is cloneable) and which once
> initialised does not allow the identity of its referenced object to be
> changed.  (Although I realise that a const std::autoptr will do most of this
> for you.)

patches accepted;)  If I get frisky I might attempt it.  My purpose for
this was pure maintainership, because Kevin was no longer making it
available.

> However I notice that you release it under the GPL whereas Kevin Horn released
> it as public domain.  To make the library more useful it would be a good idea
> to indicate what the new code is (if any) which is GPL-only.

What makes you think that?  The actual smartptr source file only shows
Kevin's original public domain license.

Personally, I'd prefer LGPL for this, and I don't really want to get
into which-piece-is-which-license for this library.  But I have to
respect Kevin's wishes, and he placed it in public domain, so I'll cross
that bridge when I get to it.