Re: [gtkmm] gtkmm-2.4 on MSVC

m h wrote:

What is the exact problem with using win32 static
libraries?  i understand that it can increase the app
footprint, but are there any other drawbacks?
i currently have static libs of gtkmm 2.4, and they
seem to work ok.
but i'm seeing a problem, and i'm not sure if its
related to a static lib problem.
i can use glade-- to generate a window_glade class,
and a window class that extends it. this works fine. however, adding any type of other member to the window
class causes the app to crash (in the window class
constructor).
the obvious problem is not properly rebuilding the
objects that include the window class header file. but i checked that.
is it possible it is a problem with using static
libraries?  i know glibmm had hooks to easily make it
a dll.  could that somehow affect the glibmm static
lib that i created?

You may be answering your own question, here. Because shared libs are so easy to use on GNU/Linux where the bulk of gtk/gtkmm development gets done, there may be design choices that cause problems with static libs, I don't know.

However you raise a good point, which is that static libs may be good enough for my purposes, so I'm going to experiment with them and see if I can get a K-3D build that works.

also, i built the glibmm dll from the posted vc
project  files.  but when i tried linking, i got alot
of unresolved symbols.  i didnt get a chance to look
at it too closely.  is it possible to use the glibmm
dll with the static atkmm, pangomm, gdkmm, and gtkmm
libs?

These are the issues that I was reporting - they relate to the ongoing discussion of dllexport/dllimport.

Cheers,
Tim