[gtkmm] Custom widget example

I am working on a new chapter for the gtkmm book about implementing custom
widgets. I have already finished the part about custom containers, but now
I'm trying to create an example of a custom widget that does its own
drawing.

I took bits of code from here and there, and looked at gtklabel.c for a
simple example, but I can't get it to actually show anything in the
widget. Would someone more experienced with this like to take a look,
please?:

http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gtkmm/examples/book/custom/custom_widget/

It's in both the HEAD and gtkmm-2-4 branches in cvs.

www.openismus.com