... child window doesn't hide

i've a class derived from Gtk::Window, and in this class lies an object of a class which is also derived from Gtk::Window. now, when a button in my main window is pressed, show() is called for my child window, and it shows up .... the problem is, that it doen't disapear again when i click on close, or eaven on a button on this window directly connected with hide(). i've allready tried to unset the Gtk::TOPLEVEL flag - but that just resulted in lot's of gtk warnings and a subwindow not recognizing my desktop theme ... then i've tried Gtk::Window(/Gtk::WINDOW_POPUP/), but this is not what i want because it removes the standard buttons (so i didn't test it) .

maybe someone can give me a hint ...