Marshalling/Serialization Gtk::TextBuffer

I'm new to gtkmm and gtk in general and I've been looking around the
net but I haven't found much on the topic of serializing gtk/gtkmm
objects.  Specificially I need a way of serializing a Gtk::TextBuffer
for a note making application that I'm working on.  I'd like to
support basic formatting and unicode text, and the TextBuffer and a
TextView seem to be a pretty good way of doing this.  Gtkmm was so
easy that I've already got a basic gui with the components I need, but
when it comes to actually saving the contents of the TextBuffer, all I
can write out is the text (via the Gtk::TextBuffer::get_text
function).

If anyone could provide links to documents or even book/article titles
that I could look up, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

--s.r.d.