Re: [gtkmm] the future of gtkmm

Paul Grenyer wrote:

Hi

2. When GNOME desktop will be based entirely on C++ made API? Is it
possible?

Of course it's possible. But people have better things to do with their
time.

What amkes you say that?

Because... well... we do have better things to do with our time?

I thought Murray might have been implying that it wasn't worth doing.

In my opinion things like RAII, templates and the standard library give C++
a clear advantage over C. RAII in particular makes it easier to prevent
leaks. The sooner we can get more people in the community programming that
way, the quicker software will in prove.

That's not an uncommon opinion, but the fact is that C++ is far from bullet-proof. If GNOME was going to change language entirely, I don't think it would actually be a good idea to use C++, it just doesn't offer enough of an improvement. It would have to be something garbage collected I think.