[gtkmm] Is it possible to add widgets to a drawingarea?

Hello.

I've been using Gtkmm for quite a while now, and I
also use a GtkGLextmm drawingarea (which is quite the
same as a regular drawingarea, except the drawing is
done via opengl commands).

The program I'm making is ofcourse a non-linear
editor. And as you may know non-linear editors usually
have a timeline (tracks and edits, that you move/cut
with the mouse).

The question:
So is it possible to have a drawingarea, and put some
Gtk::Buttons in there with just giving them
coordinates x,y of where they should be drawn? And if
that's possible somehow, then is there a way to make
that button be customly drawn?

I've been looking through the documentation, which
ofcourse doesn't have this kind of examples. What I'd
like to do is to have the functionality of a button,
with custom drawing. Could this be done by overloading
some function in a Gtk::Button? And which function?

The textview example shows a button inside a textview,
so this shouldn't be technically impossible to do...

If it's not possible to add a Gtk::Button (or any
other widget) into a drawingarea, could this feature
be added to GTK+ and Gtkmm?

Currently I'm having my own rectangle classes and
button presses for them, and seems to me like I'll
eventually be making it into another GUI, which would
be just a lot of duplicate code.

This is not so critical question at the moment, but it
could shape the direction I'm taking with my code. So
thanks beforehand.

Joonas Kiviharju