[gtkmm] difference between gunichar and wchar_t?

I am sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the difference
between a gunichar and a wchar_t?

Is there a portable way to convert back and forth?

I ask because ustring::iterator seems to "point to" a gunichar.

Other C++ libraries seem to want to deal with wchar_t when dealing
with big international characters.

--
Paul Elliott                       1(512)837-1096
pelliott io com                    PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J