[gtkmm] Notebook trouble

I have added a close button to my Notebook tabs in addition to a label
(like Gedit). Both are added to a hbox, and then passed to the notebook
dynamically using the Helpers class:

notebook1->pages().push_back(Gtk::Notebook_Helpers::TabElem(*scrolledwindow, *hbox));

How do I tell a close button what page to close when it is clicked?  I
have tried using page_num() like this:

void window1::on_button1_clicked()  // every close button is given this
 				    // signal before being added with
 				    // the Helper class.

{
	Glib::signal_switch_page();
	gint page = notebook1->page_num(*this);
	notebook1->remove_page(page);
}

But this doesn't work I think because '*this' refers to the main window1
object, and not the button.  How can I tell the button clicked signal
which page to close?

Thanks,
Dan