Re: [gtkmm] Announce: version 1.0.4 of ucompose.hpp

Max Vasin <max-appolo mail ru> writes:

> Excuse me if you concider this offtopic. :)
> Well, there is anorther library for doing this - Boost.Format quite
> powerful, which supports both styles, and parameters like in `printf'.

But then remember to be _extremely_ careful about your string types.
std::ostringstream is _not_ directly compatible with Glib::ustring
because std::ostringstream interacts with the encoding of the locale
in interesting ways. I've had an endless supply of troubles with that
for earlier implementations of ucompose.hpp.

You may consider this unimportant, but if you ignore it you will one
day have to spent hours if not days tracking down mysterious crashes
(which only happens to users with esoteric locales). I've been there.
It's not fun. Most of my current knowledge of GDB comes from these
sessions.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.aau.dk/~olau/