[gtkmm] IPC between Gtkmm objects

Hi,
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 Jerry Stahl wrote :

>  As part of a larger application, I currently have a
>  Gtkmm 2.2 "main" display dialog that uses my .bashrc
>
>  Does anyone know if the Gtkmm libraries have any IPC
>  APIs or if there is any other better way to handle
>  the needed IPC calls between PIDs.

Being in land of limited bit-rates and scarce CD-images
I'm not sure if bleeding-edge Gtkmm has preserved its
links with the out-of-date gtkmm-1.2.8; but gtkmm-1.2
has the Gtk::Plug and Gtk::Socket, which together with
the standard IPC socket ( a STREAMS pipe would have
been generally easier, but linux doesn't seem to favour
it too much ) is probably what you are looking for.

You will find such an implementation in the 'qtstu' app.
from http://www.acarlab.com in which a device specific
extensions ( for the philips web-cam ) are packaged into
a seperate process gtkmm- window but realized in the
main app window.

- arvind