RE: [gtkmm] A burning question about X Windows

> I realize that Gtkmm is a wrapper of the software library
> GTK+, however is it wrong for a C++ programmer to perhaps
> want to design some custom widgets or enhancements that he
> uses along with the the Gtkmm library.

You can of course create custom widgets with gtkmm, without using an X
calls. If you need to do any special drawing or even handling then you can
use gdkmm (GDK), though it is rare that you need to. GDK wraps X in a
cross-platform way, so if you use gtkmm and gdkmm instead of X calls, then
your widget will work on Windows and the linux framebuffer as well as X.

> I was wondering why
> there are so few tutorials on XFree86. How on earth can
> people ignore all information and knowledge about such a core
> infrastructure, and yet the Linux kernel gets so much attention.

Because almost nobody needs to know about X, because we have GTK+ and gtkmm
and Qt?

murrayc usa net