[gtkmm] AccelMap in gtkmm 2.0

I've been trying to get AccelMap to work so I can save and load hotkey assignments.

I've read through all the documentation (including the Gtk stuff for the Gtkmm stuff that isn't documented, namely AccelMap), and it seems fairly simple:
Set the path of one of the parent menus and all the other menus should inherit that path through their labels.
Then just give those paths to the AccelMap with a hot key combo using the add_entry or  change_entry functions.
And everything should work! (the documentation isn't terribly clear on this, or if AccelGroups are involved, etc. so I'm not entirely sure).

Anything I'm missing?  Any pointers would be helpful (instructions, directions to programs that use this feature with gtkmm 2, etc.)

Thanks,
Adruab