[gtkmm] Custom drawing area and text layout

Hi,

Just starting out with Gtkmm, and having a few teething problems. I am coding an application which needs to plot graphs in real time sampled at 10 Hz. So I coded up a custom drawing area, and coded up something that draws my graphs pretty well.

The problem I have is in labelling the axes of the graph, and drawing the numbers. I have been using Pango to do this, but I need to center the labels about a certain point.

So finally to my question! Is there anyway for me to tell Pango what I want to write, fonts etc, and then to ask it how big the occupied rectangle would be? Are there any good tutorials, or should I be using something else for the text on my drawing area? Can I use symbols and superscript/subscript too?

Is there another list where this might belong? It's mentioned briefly in the book, but I have found it hard getting my head around Pango.

Thanks for any help you can offer :)

Marcus