FW: [gtkmm] drag and drop with multiple targets

Callum,
	I was pretty much wrapped up in much the same issue.  With
everyone's help on this list, especially Murray's, I was able to put this
email summary together.  Perhaps you'll find it as useful as I did in
resolving my drag and drop questions.

	Cheers,
		Erik.

Behalf Of Ohrnberger, Erik
> Paul,
> 	I've read the paper by Owen Taylor about drag and drop
> in GTK+ and GNOME, and I've followed that to the indicated
> resources IANA MIME type registry
> (ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-type).
>
> 	This appears to me as a pretty significant issue when
> it comes to application design and interoperability.  I'm
> rather surprised that at least references to this discussion
> and the MIME type registry is not included in the tutorial
> about drag and drop.  It really should be in there (IMHO).
>
> 	Do you, or the gtkmm tutorial authors, think that it
> would a significant loss of information should the Taylor
> paper not become available in the future?  If so, is there a
> means that this could be incorporated into the tutorial?

I'm reading this thread now. I wrote the Drag and Drop stuff in the
documentation. It's the first time that I have heard about MIME types in
relation to Drag and Drop, but maybe this solves the mystery of what the
hell those target names are. I'll try to investigate and update the book.
Obviously this stuff should be in there if it's appropriate.

> 	Anyway, with the Taylor paper, the IANA registry, and
> the information in the tutorial, I much better understand
> what's going on, why it's significant, and how to implement
> it better.  It would seem to me that including this
> information, or at least references, and / or links, to this
> information, really should be part of the tutorial so that
> the readers of the tutorial understand the wider implications
> of the design and implementation decisions that they are
> making.  It certainly opened my eyes to it all.
>
> 	In conclusion, I guess this email boils down to an
> enhancement request for the tutorial documentation.
>
> 	Cheers and best wishes,
> 		Erik.

murrayc usa net