[gtkmm] Upgrading a 5 year old program

Alright, I have found a program ( http://www.allusion.net/bakasub/ ) I
am really interested in revamping to gtkmm2.4 but it was written for
gtk-- 0.99.5, so as you can imagine I have quite a bit of work ahead of
me. Not to mention this is a learning project for me. So on to the
question. I have gone through, and upgraded the menu code to 2.4, and
using UIManager no less. But one thing I am unsure on is the following:

Old code:
connect_to_method(w_start->activate, this, &W_EditCtls::activate_entry,
w_start);

Is this the proper way to achieve the same thing?
(W_EditCtls::activate_entry takes a Widget as a parameter, that is what
w_start is.)

w_start->activate().connect(sigc::bind( sigc::mem_fun(*this,
&W_EditCtls::activate_entry), w_start ) );

I'm sorry if I have not provided enough information, I'm not sure how
much is needed to know the answer. Let me know if there is anything more
needed. Thanks.

Surye