[gtkmm] Two problems (gtkmm 2.2.11)

This occurs on 2.2.8 and 2.2.11...

I get the following when compiling with g++ -c basewindow.C -o basewindow.o `pkg-config gtkmm-2.0 --cflags`:

In file included from /usr/local/include/gtkmm-2.0/gtkmm/stock.h:24,
                 from basewindow.C:19:
/usr/local/include/gtkmm-2.0/gtkmm/stockitem.h:66: error: parse error before `&
   ' token
/usr/local/include/gtkmm-2.0/gtkmm/stockitem.h:70: error: parse error before `)
   ' token

(etc.)

I get similar errors, in different gtkmm headers, if I change the order in which the gtkmm headers are included.  The headers included in basewindow.C are:
gtkmm/menu_elems.h
gtkmm/stock.h
gtkmm/fileselection.h

basewindow.h also has:
gtkmm/menubar.h
gtkmm/menu.h
gtkmm/window.h
gtkmm/box.h

My other problem is equally strange.  Two other files both reported a "parse error at end of input" that resolved itself when I added a '}' to the end of the .C file...  The only gtkmm header they have in common (indeed, the only header they have in common at all) was gtkmm/button.h.

Anyone have any clue on why any of this is happening?