From: Matthew Walton <matthew alledora co uk>
To: Adrian Bentley <adruab hotmail com>
CC: gtkmm-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [gtkmm] gtkmm 2.4 accelerator stuff (2.2 for that matter)
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 21:59:00 +0100

Adrian Bentley wrote:

I'm interested in using the new action group stuff in gtkmm 2.4, but I was wondering what the interface was for modifying keyboard accelerators with action based stuff. I've had a significant amount of trouble getting keyboard accelerator paths to work in the 2.2 (documentation is where?), and was wondering if there was any set up to deal with keyboard accelerators directly with actions (since that would be the obvious extension). Any help is appreciated, even with the AccelPath stuff in 2.2. However information about how 2.4 works will probably work just fine, since I will shortly be moving over to that.
 Thanks,
Adruab > Adrian Bentley

Actions can be created with keyboard shortcuts associated with them, these automatically trigger the actions when they're used. Of course, when an Action is insensitive, the shortcuts are automagically disabled, as well as all associated menu items/toolbar buttons.

Working with them is pretty simple. I suggest you get hold of the 2.4.0 test tarballs and have a look in the examples directory at the menus_and_toolbars example, which uses UIManager and actions, which is an undeniably far better way to build interfaces than hand-coding the menus and toolbars.

Actually, it looks a lot like the first steps towards integrating libglade into GTK+ - which wouldn't be a bad thing at all really.