[gtkmm] saving the content of a drawable area to a file

after google'ing and reading mailgroups for hours i didn't find what i was
looking for. so hopefuly someone of you might help me please.
here is my problem: i have a Drawing Area ...

Gtk::DrawingArea area_solid;

and i read out a colorselection from a Color Selection Dialog and colorize
my Drawing Area with this color.

Gtk::ColorSelectionDialog dialog;
Gtk::ColorSelection* sel = dialog.get_colorsel();
Gdk::Color sel_col;

sel_col = sel->get_current_color();
area_solid.modify_bg(Gtk::STATE_NORMAL, sel_col);

...until here everything works fine. but my problem now is that i want to
save the content of this DrawingArea into a file (jpg/bmp/xpm). I was
thinking to do it somehow with pixbuf - but everything i did until now was
not really working.
Could someone of you help me with my problem?

thanks, greets jürgen

ps: i'm using gtkmm-2.0