[gtkmm] Problem with string -> ustring conversion

Hello,

I'm writing an application that, during initialization, must read strings
from a binary data file which includes non-ascii characters such as the
unicode character U00C6 (the combined "AE" character). If I read into a
std::string and then send the string to stdout, the character prints
correctly on an xterm, so I know that it's being read properly. All my
attempts to convert such a std::string to a Glib::ustring (either through
simple assignment or calls to Glib::locale_to_utf8) result in the program
crashing and returning an error value of 6. I would sincerely appreciate
any suggestions for remedying this problem.

I apologize if this question has been answered before on the list or in
the gtkmm documentation; I searched for quite a while and found nothing.

Brian Gartner