Re: [Re: [[gtkmm] Problem with std::string -> Glib::ustring conversion]]

Brian Gartner <cadrach-gtkmm wcug wwu edu> wrote:
> Hmm... I'm afraid that I must have miscommunicated. I'm reading these
> strings in a raw fashion from a binary file (I know how many
> characters/bytes long each one will be), dumping them into std::strings.
> Each character in the string is, of course, one byte, and they correspond
> to the ASCII characters for values of <= 127. The file, however, contains
> strings with characters of values > 127, for example the combined "AE"
> character (sorry that I don't know the name of it) that, were it to be
> represented in Unicode (which it isn't) would have the value of U00C6. In
> the file's encoding, that character is simply represented by one unsigned
> byte with a value of 198 (C6 in hex). I believe that this encoding is
> called ISO 8859-1, consists of the first 256 characters of the Unicode
> encoding, and is the default Linux character set.

Then I don't think that there should be any problem. You might try to open the
file with regexxer and/or look at its source code. It was written in gtkmm by
someone who has more clue than me about encodings and locales.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net