Re: [gtkmm] ScrolledWindow containing a DrawingArea, does not "respond"

On Sunday 07 September 2003 19:58, Giannis Georgalis wrote:

> I'm trying to insert a DrawingArea in a ScrolledWindow, so if the
> top-level window is smaller than the size of the image (that I draw in
> the DrawingArea), the user will be able to see the whole picture by
> scrolling.
>
> I've read a lot of gtk+2.0 "sample" code, which suggested that You just
> add the DrawingArea inside the ScrolledWindow (with a viewport - which
> is done automatically in gtkmm) and everything should work...
>
> Thus,
>
> 	scrolledWindow.set_policy(Gtk::POLICY_ALWAYS, Gtk::POLICY_ALWAYS);
> 	scrolledWindow.add(*this);   // I'm inside a DrawingArea.
> 	topLevelWindow.add(scrolledWindow);
>
> However, the scroll-bars remain inactive. That is, they cannot be
> used to navigate through the image no matter how small I make a
> window.
>
> I suspected that this problem might have been because the
> scrolledWindow couldn't get the top-level window size, so I did this:
>
> 	int window_width = 0, window_height = 0;
> 	topLevelWindow.get_size(window_width, window_height);
> 	scrolledWindow.set_size_request(window_width, window_height);
>
> with no effect at all, however :-(
>
> Any hint is highly appreciated.

I believe you want to call set_size_request on the DrawingArea, not the
ScrolledWindow. If the contents of the ScrolledWindow are bigger than the
ScrolledWindow, then the scrollbars will let the user scroll around in it.

~Ainsley