Re: [gtkmm] Glade-2, libgtkmm, Xml::create, callbacks

This is the situation as I understand it:

- you can use glademm-generated code to instantiate the window class
with the signal handlers intact, as you like, but you can't then
retrieve pointers to the individual widgets in the window
- you can use libglademm to make the window out of the glade XML file,
but then you don't get the callbacks although you do get the ability to
lookup individual widgets

I'm not an expert on either glademm or libglademm (and despite the
similarity in names, they *are* different), but it seems that this
problem may, unless something's being overlooked in glademm's code, be
unresolvable at the current time. libglademm will never pay attention to
the callbacks, because the only thing it considers is the XML file
describing the UI, which, as far as I'm aware, has no information about
interactions between the components at all - that's left to the
programmer.

Thus you're left with glademm, and if that doesn't provide you with
access to the widgets in the window you've got a problem - and to be
honest, I think it probably should have a way to do that, and it may
already have one; although judging by the code snippet in one of your
e-mails it's not looking particularly hopeful.

Feature enhancements to glademm should be discussed on the glademm list
of course.

--
Matthew Walton <matthew alledora co uk>