Re: [gtkmm] gtkmm 2.4 and gcc <3.2

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 08:48:01AM +0100, Matthew Walton wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 07:47, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> > > From: Morten Brix Pedersen [mailto:morten mbrix dk]
> > > * Murray Cumming Comneon com <Murray Cumming Comneon com>
> > > [2003-10-21 13:39:12]:
> > > Does anybody
> > >
> > > Users of the stable distribution of Debian, woody, won't be
> > > able to use gtkmm 2.4 easily.
> >
> > This sounds like a serious problem to me. Martin, what do you think about
> > that?
>
> Of all the people I know who use Debian, the only ones who even consider
> using Debian stable are the ones running it on servers, and those, of
> course, rarely even have X installed, let alone GTK+ or gtkmm or any
> apps which need them. Is this really a serious problem?

As a Debian user (and developer), I'm basically forced to use Debian
unstable to develop with Gtkmm v2.  I don't see that as a major problem:
gtkmm2 wasn't released until well after woody was released, so couldn't
have been included anyway.  I could build a backport for woody, but
since it's best to use the latest GTK+, GLib, fontconfig, GCC etc., it's
not worth all the trouble.

If a user has gone to the hassle of backporting and hand-building all of
the packages they need for their development needs, I'm sure they could
also build GCC 3.3 as well.  After using GCC 3.[23] and 2.95.x in
parallel for a good while, I don't miss 2.95.x one bit.

In the past, when developing on Debian 2.2, I did do all this type of
work when I needed GTK+ 1.2.x and a new GCC and binutils, but it's
really not worth all the effort: the things I'm working on right now
won't be ready for deployment until after Debian sarge has been
released, so as far as I'm affected personally, the lack of gtkmm2 in
the current stable release is a non-issue.

Normally, I use the stable release for all my work, but for developing
with new versions of new libraries, I wouldn't consider it.

Regards,
Roger

--
Roger Leigh