[gtkmm] List/Treestore with external data

Hi gtk-gurus :)

I'm dead sure the following was asked before but I tried real hard to find any information and wasn't successful, so finally I'll try it here.

I'm developing a GUI-Frontend for a library that handles data objects which are connected in a tree-like structure. What I want, of course, is to display that structure in a TreeStore along with some details about each object. So all information is already given in the library objects. Using the conventional TreeStore I'd have to insert the details into the store thus making a copy of each which, I think, is waste of memory. So y question is: Is there a way to make the TreeStore depend on external data? or Has anybody already implemented a derieved Store that does?

Many thanks in advance for replies ...

Hagen.