[gtkmm] gtkmm-config - how to get it?

Hello all,

  the work you've done is pretty good. So far I was really happy,
but now I'm running into troubles and nobody else can probably
help me. Could you point me to the right way?

  The thing is: I've installed RH9 and wanted to compile
gabber as jabber is the intra-company communication channel.
Well, it required a lot of libraries, which a started to
download (as tgz) and compile and install. I did it for
the following libraries:

  libsigc++-1.2.5.tar.gz
  gtk+-2.2.4.tar.gz
  gconfmm-2.0.1.tar.gz
  gtkmm-2.2.8.tar.gz

Well, I expected that everything required is on my PC,
configured, compiled, checked, installed. But, what's my surprise
when I start to configure gabber (0.8.8)? It provides
the following message:

*** The gtkmm-config script installed by GTK-- could not be found
*** If GTK-- was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GTKMM_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to gtkmm-config.
*** The gtkmm-config script was not available in GTK-- versions
*** prior to 0.9.12. Perhaps you need to update your installed
*** version to 0.9.12 or later
configure: error: Cannot find gtkmm 1.2.5 or greater.

How can I get the gtkmm-config? I expected that it was a part
of the tar.gz source, wasn't it? Or am I missing some other
libraries? Even if I was able to find some rpm packages that
would contain the required file (probably) I cannot install
them as they also require other parts as rpms. As I have
them in source and installed them "manually" they are not
visible. Moreover, the libraries required I cannot find in
the rpm package.

So, once again, could you point me to the way out of this
problem?

  Thx,

    Dusan Kolar