Re: [gtkmm] Fullscreen+set_transient_for+Fedora

Igor Gorbounov wrote:
Hi, All!
Early, on RedHat 9, windows (normal windows, no dialogs), that
were set transient for a fullscreened parent window, were placed
on top of that window.
And now, on Fedora Core 1, their behavior has changed: all my
transient windows are hiding itselves under their parent window -
is that normal. I mean, they behave themselves just like it was
disigned by developers of gtk (and gtkmm) or am I missing something?

If the behaviour has changed, I would generally be inclined to point the finger at the window manager. I assume it's been upgraded between RH9 and FC1. Have you checked what the changes are to see if there's anything there about window stacking/fullscreen?

Anyway, is there a reliable method for placing non-dialog
daughter windows above their parent window?

No, because these things are entirely handled by the application setting window hints, and the window manager is not obliged to obey them. In theory, any window manager compliant with the appropriate specifications should behave in more or less the same way when presented with the same hints, but in practice this isn't always the case (yet). Fullscreen particularly seems to cause a few problems, at least for me.