Re: [gtkmm] Window questions

>> i have apps that i never want to appear in the taskbar (whatever
>> *that* is :). the apps can't know this, X11 can't know this -
>> the only thing i can configure is the WM: "don't put foo in
>> the taskbar". how you go about doing that is WM specific.
>
>I suspect that it's in the freedesktop specification. And if it isn't, and
>you want it, you should try to add it. There are mailing lists for
>freedesktop.org.

i've checked 3 WM's: sawfish, metacity, icewm. in each case, the
method for a user to blacklist a certain wm_class from the taskbar is
related to its configuration file. it has nothing to do with any
freedesktop specification.

what you may be referring to is a way for an application to request
that its window(s) be put or not put in the taskbar. freedesktop does
offer something to do this.

i made the mistake of trying to answer the question from a
user-centric perspective, when it was more of a programmer-centric
question. "how do i keep windows out the taskbar" is WM-specific when
answered most generically, but freedesktop provides a standard for new
or updated apps to take control of it themselves.

--p