[gtkmm] TreeView Gtk::TreeRow::set_value too slow

Hello all,

I use a Gtk::TreeView to display my data, which is a tree consisting of
around 120 nodes (thus 120 lines to display) and I use 4 columns.
I use an updatefunction which is called twice every 100 ms (maybe even
50ms). This function changes the value (string) of column 2, 3 and 4 and
the color of column 1, 2 and 4 (first call) or 1, 3 and 4 (second call).
However, when I run my application cpu-load is 100% (using gtkmm-1.2 the
load was < 10%). The display isn't even updated until the function isn't
called anymore (no problem with gtkmm 1.2).
After profiling using gprof I found that most of the cpu-time is consumed
by Gtk::TreeRow::set_value.
Is there a way of speeding up the setting of values and color-change?
My first thought was to hold an array (list or whatever) containing the
widgets (Label?) which are used to show the data. But I found no function
which returns a widget pointer or reference. Then I thougt I could store
pointers to the values itself, but again I couldn't find any function
returning pointer or reference.
Any help is appreciated.

Michael