Re: [gtkmm] 3 states check box

Hello!

Am Tuesday, 25. March 2003 10:34 schrieb Paul Scheremet:
> I've never seen a "three-state" check box in any gui.

I do not know any solution for thr problem, but the Windows GUI and also Qt
contains such a three-state check box. See properties dialog of multiple
files with different attributes. I would expect that, the normal gtk checkbox
has an option to make it a three state. In Windows, I know that this option
is part of the API, in Qt I do not know, if the KDE programmers implemented
the feature on their own.
From my point of view, there are single cases where such an checkbox is of
use. I would not use it, when only checked or unchecked is a valid input.
Then I prefer to set a default state. In the properties dialog mentioned
above, the undefined state means that the attribute of that type shall not be
touched, because if you set it to checked or unchecked, every selected file
will receive that attribute and that's not ever what you want, but it shall
be possible to remove the read-only-state of multiple files, while not
affecting the other attributes.
(This is only meant as an example, where such a control is of good use.)

Daniel Bausch