RE: [gtkmm] Questions and information

> From: Paul Davis [mailto:paul linuxaudiosystems com]
> i cannot recommend gtkmm for others to use on long-term
> projects when changes on the same scale of gtkmm1.2->gtkmm2 are
> potentially waiting for us.

Nobody is suggesting that such a major change should happen again. APIs do
mature. The rate of change slows as we approach perfection.

I have said several times that the API changes between 2.0/2.2 and 2.4 will
be very minor. There's no problem here.

We do _need_ a new API (parallel-installable) because we do need to make
_ABI_ changes. We cannot break ABI without creating a new
parallel-installable API. One more time: The API changes between 2.0/2.2 and
2.4 will be very minor. We will use a deprecation system where possible.

> moreover, the situation with compatible versions of the libraries is
> so impossible to manage that as i've mentioned before, ardour comes
> *with* its own gtkmm and that gets compiled and statically linked into
> the binary. the idea of getting every user of ardour on a machine with
> a correctly compiled version of the correct version of gtkmm is too
> much to contemplate.

I think you are talking about incompatibilities between compilers. That has
nothing to do with gtkmm.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net