Re: [gtkmm] Cross Process Dispatcher

>I was under the impression that the communication was through a pipe.
>Though I have not looked at the code too much this is what I get from
>the documentation...

the pipe is used to wake up the other thread. but once its awake, it
uses information stored in memory (i.e. the slot).

>My thoughts were if this is an unnamed pipe used for cross-thread
>communication it could be "named" and be used for cross-process
>communication.  Also with a bit of marshaling data could be passed
>through the pipe and de-marshaled at the other end.  Allowing an
>efficient way of passing signals across process barriers and allowing
>for arguments.

its called RPC, and is normally combined with an Interface Definition
Language (IDL). it was hashed to death in the 1980's and early 1990's
and has turned out to be very much less than widely used. creating
stubs to pass <whatever> around so that one process can call a
function on behalf of another process has turned out to be much less
useful than people first thought it would be. your mileage may vary,
of course.