[gtkmm] Weird slowdown with notebook

Hello all

I'm coding a rather large level editor program using
gtkmm. Up to now I have opened the level to be edited
in a dedicated window. Recently I decided to make the
GUI tabbed, so every level is in its own page in a
notebook. This got me very strange behaviour:

- the first time I resize a window with the notebook
in it, it automatically resizes itself back to the old
size, but only after a while

- keypresses do not go to the widgets (drawing area)
in the pages at first, banging the cursor keys a while
fixes this

- screen refreshes are extremely slow, an order of
magnitude slower than using separate windows

The weird thing is that the screen updates' speed is
the same on debugging, optimised and even profiled
builds. Profiling data is mostly useless, since it
claims the program only runs for 13 seconds even if I
force the program to refresh the screen for several
minutes. I have checked that only the page that shows
gets the expose_event, so this setup should be just as
fast.

My system is Debian testing with gtkmm 2.0. Any ideas
on how to fix this?