Re: [gtkmm] Help! compile gtkmm2.2.5 with mingw under Windows.

Hello!

> > > Is libsigc++ built as a DLL ?
> >
> >No, as static library. I used the MSVC project files shipped with
> >libsigc++ (btw. there are two folders with MSVC Net2003 project files and
> >there ís a typo in a filename).
>
> You should build it as a shared library (DLL) only (configure
> --disable-static). Same for gtkmm. And then hopefully these linking errors
> related to undefined symbols will disappear.

We misunderstood us here:

- I compiled and tested it with gcc under msys as DLL
- I compiled and tested it with VisualStudio as static lib

Btw. I think it's not possible to use the GCC compiled DLL (of C++
source code) with VisualStudio, or I'm wrong here?

> gtkmm-2.2.5 builds out of the box on my win2k box. No need to recreate the
> libtool/configure scripts.

Build here too out of the box. But at the end I have the linking problem.
As I said in the other mail, I will try it with your setup of
cygwin/mingw combination.

> I don"t really know. I'm happy with the tools provided by the cygwin
> distribution. You just have to be careful with your mount points and the
> way directory names are handled.

Take a look on msys, it's not so complete as cygwin but it don't rely on
cygwin.dll.

> >Ok. Btw. is this the recommended way of supporting MSVC (I mean the
> >project files; theoretically it's also possible to use the
> >Makefiles/libtool).
>
> I guess people are more familiar with project files but you should ask the
> question on bugzilla if you intend to provide support/submit patches for
> VisualStudio 2003.

It only matter if someone want to recompile it under VisualStudio. The
disadvantage I see is that the project files must be updated too on every
file addition/removal (or the project files must be autoupdated, it's
simply if you only have to insert a list of files into a skeleton file).

Regards,
Frank Naumann