[gtkmm] differences in C GtkHScale and C++ Gtk::HScale specifically button_release and button_press events

I am working on a music playback application and am using the Gtk::HScale to represent the playback progress as well as providing the user with a handle through which he or she can manipulate the position of the media. I don't believe that this is as simple as just connecting to the signal_value_changed() event ... as during playback i must continuouly update the value causing that signal to be called quiet frequently and not really be useful for detecting changes in the slider position. As a result I believe the correct way to capture the position independent of its current changed value is to listen to the button_press/release events. This is when i discovered a difference in the way button_press/release signals are handled in Gtkmm and Gtk+ when used with a Scale widget. IMO Gtk+ is doing it correctly and this is a bug in Gtkmm, however i decided to write two simple examples doing the same thing in both C and C++ to better express my point as well so the list could be the final judge.

also note i'm running redhat-9, with gtkmm2 rpms installed from freshrpms.net so, perhaps this is an old bug that has already be handled in any event
perhaps this code will help new comers to gtkmm from gtk+...

http://141.157.56.43/source/examples

-todd