Re: Re: [gtkmm] static linking gtk+2, gtkmm2 & static libraries

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 05:25:18PM -0000, Vishal Modak wrote:
> >First you need to solve the problem of statically linking gtk+,
> >which is apparently not simple.
>
> ok..so which libraries will i need to static linking gtk+2..

I have been attempting this for about a week now and this is what I
have gotten so far( Intel P4,RH Linux 7.2,Kernel 2.4.18 ):

You will need the source for pango,atk,glib,gtk+,libsigc++ and gtkmm.

For pange,atk,glib,and libsigc++ I used the following for configure to
produce a static lib:

~> configure \
    --prefix=/path/to/your/install/place \
    --disable-shared \
    --enable-static
~> make && make install

Here is where I have not gotten past, building a static version of gtk+.

I had to download the src for zlib and libpng to produce libpng.a.  Make sure
that libpng.a is in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH before any libpng.so found elsewhere on
my system.  Next, I used the following configure line:

/configure \
    --prefix=/path/to/your/install/place \
    --enable-static \
    --disable-shared \
    --disable-modules \
    --with-included-loaders=png

This is really just a repeat of the email I sent to gtk-list(ommitting the
error messages):

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/2003-January/msg00339.html

Somewhere in the immodules there are trouble.  This was all being tried w/
gtk+ 2.2.0.  I have not tried the new 2.2.1 release which the update list
states there were some configure fixes (which is what I think is causing it
not to build).

Let me know if you get any further.

Thanks,
-nick