Re: [gtkmm] Qt converts?

--- Staff <staff transportationimpact com> wrote:
> Are there any Gtkmm converts from Qt out there?

I'm not a convert, but I have used Gtkmm to create a
program that runs on Linux and Windows.

> 1) how portable is it to windows?  Frankly our Qt
> code is virtually 100%
> compatible and our user base is virtually all
> windows - for now:)

Very. My source had zero platform-defines, only
slightly different makefiles. I used MinGW, other
compilers may require some tweaking.

> 5) What IDE or Dialog editors are people using?
> While many rave about
> KDevelop, I actually find that vers 3 is still
> pretty buggy.

I've heard that Anjuta has special support for GTK
projects, but I'm an Emacs guy myself.

> 7) It appears that Inkscape is using Gtkmm but that
> many of the other C++
> Gnome apps (ie Abiword) don't - why not?

Inkscape is a new project, Abiword is not. A couple of
years ago (=before version 2.0) Gtkmm was not nearly
as good as it is now.

There are some other things you didn't ask, but should
be aware of.

The only MS compiler that compiles Gtkmm progs is the
newest Visual Studio. Older ones do not work.

Glade is a great program, but according to people who
have used both, Qt Designer is a lot better. Also, use
libglade. You'll be glad you did.

Gtk's drawing area is slow on Windows. Very slow. This
had something to do with the differences in Win32 and
X drawing primitives. It was discussed on the GTK list
ages ago.

Do not use the Gnome libraries. Firstly they are a
very big dependency, and last I checked they only
worked under Cygwin. Cygwin's runtime is GPL, so you
can't link that to closed-source programs. (this is
IIRC, so correct me if I'm wrong)

GTK does not use native widgets on Windows, making the
programs look slightly weird. This is especially true
of the file selector, which is fugly. Also the
ready-made dialogs conform to Gnome HIG, which means
among other things, that the Ok/Cancel buttons are in
the wrong (Mac) order. There was a project to make GTK
use the native theme, but I don't know what their
status is ATM.