[gtkmm] Re: Looking for success stories

Hi Owen, Hi Murray,

Murray Cumming wrote
This is important. Trust me.

So this posting on gtkmm-list urged me to write to you.

Owen Taylor wrote
We're looking to create a document to go on gtk.org that lists some of the
places that GTK+ is being used successfully.

Are you using GTK+ internally in your company? In a product?

If so, could you send mail to me (otaylor gtk org) giving details such as:

 - Who you are (company name, whatever)

Adolf Petig GmbH & Co. KG, textile ribbon manufacturer (http://www.petig-baender.de)

 - What you are using GTK+ for

We developed order tracking, billing, production planing, accounting, product documentation, salesmen commission, and most likely more programs in house. All of them are subject to the GPL (and mostly unpublished) and we still labor on documenting the installation of the PPS part for other people : http://manuproc.berlios.de

 - Why you chose GTK+

Because at the time the decision had to be made, Qt was not available free of charge for in house GPL development. Motif was even less free and too long winded to use. And we dropped our own toolkit when we went towards C++ for development. And gtk+ was the only other choice at that moment (in the days of gtk+ 0.99.something). Also political considerations clearly ruled out any non free contender.

 - What you like about using GTK+

It's really open source, it's becoming better and better, I can help developing it, it's fun to develop and use (once you add C++ ;-) ).

You, Kristian, Murray and many more people made a lot of design decisions which I really learned to like (after getting used to them).

Also it's fast and gtkmm is superb.

   Christof

PS: What I strongly dislike is the inability to throw exceptions through signal invocations. [I know it is not easy to overcome (C has no idea of destructors being called on exceptions), but it _really_ hurts!!!] And this only hurts because memory management no longer sucks.