[gtkmm] error loading shared libraries

When I try to compile and run the simple example
(http://gtkmm.sourceforge.net/gtkmm2/docs/tutorial/html/ch03.html) it
compiles but gives the following run-time error:
error while loading shared libraries: libgtkmm-2.0.so.1: cannot open

I don't have root priveleges on my system so I installed gtkmm in my home
directory. When I look at the output of pkg-config gtkmm-2.0 --cflags
--libs it has -L and -I options to all the directories with the gtkmm
libraries in them.

Anybody know what the problem might be?

Brad