[gtkmm] emiting key release signals

How can I emit a key_release signal?

I tried using gtk_main_do_event() as instructed in the docs for
Gtk::Wiget::event() but that didn't work. I don't know if I was doing it
right, but I also don't know if that is the correct way in the first
place. If this is the correct method, let me know and I'll post the code
that doesn't work.

background: I have some custom hardware with keys on them (including a
number pad) and I'm trying to figure out how to programmically emit key
press/release signals.

thanks.

--
Peter Gasper <pgasper designadvantage com>