RE: [gtkmm] Solaris boolean checkboxes in TreeView

I've looked into the problem below and found the cause.  I'm not sure if
it's a bug or not.

To recap the problem:
> > Using gtkmm 2.2.1 on Solaris 8.0, with a TreeView widget that holds a
> > boolean editable column, no checkbox appears in the TreeView; instead,
> > one of the words "TRUE" or "FALSE" appears, but is not editable.
(more details in the email history below)

I am using gcc version 3.2.1, which is very similar to the gcc version I use
on Linux, so at first I ruled out complier differences and the cause of this
problem.  Much to my surprise, however, the gtkmm configure script selects
the Solaris linker by default, **even if it is not in your PATH**.  By
renaming /usr/ccs/bin/ld to something else, and recompiling gtkmm and any
client applications from scratch, I get the correct checkboxes.

The problem has to do with tying together the various instantiations of the
template function

  template<class T_ModelColumnType>
  CellRenderer* generate_cellrenderer(bool editable = false)

which is defined in the general case in gtk/gtkmm/treeviewcolumn.h but
overridden for the cases T_ModelColumnType == bool and T_ModelColumnType ==
Pixbuf in gtk/gtkmm/treeviewcolumn.cc.  With the Solaris linker, template
handling is more primitive, and the code was finding the text cellrenderer
instead of the checkbox cellrenderer.

So ... in my opinion the linker selection is a bug in the gtkmm configure
script, although I suppose there could be room for debate on that point.  At
a minimum it needs to be documented somewhere (but where?)

Furthermore, the linker selection seems to be handled automagically by some
arcane configure.in macro, so even if we want to change the behavior of
configure, I'm not sure it's straightforward.

Thoughts?

--Howdy

  Howdy Pierce
  Cardinal Peak, LLC