[gtkmm] lib deps - installing gtkmm2.2

I'm running RedHat 8.0 (_everything_ installed) and i want to install
everything i need to use gtkmm2.2 for X/gui development, preferably
using Glade for UI generation. Here's the problem when i ./configure:
checking for sigc++-1.2 >= 1.2.0 glib-2.0 >= 2.2.0 gobject-2.0 >= 2.2.0
gmodule-2.0 >= 2.2.0... Requested 'glib-2.0 >= 2.2.0' but version of
GLib is 2.0.6
The installation documentation
http://www.gtkmm.org/gtkmm2/docs/tutorial/html/ch02.html is rather
sparse in differentiating between gtkmm2.2 and gtkmm2. It also does not
specify version requirements of the library dependencies. Basically, i
think my questions are as follows:

Could someone tell me exactly what versions of what additional software
i need and point me to where i can go download it, either precompiled,
or in source? A list of libraries and versions would be ideal at this
point, as well as URLs so i can just go get them.

Will any of these most recent library packages break my system if i
install them as if they were drop-in replacements for what's already in
my system?

Or should these most recent libraries be installed side-by-side, perhaps
via --prefix=/usr/lib/somewhere?

thanx,
- gabriel