Re: [Re: [gtkmm] Glib::RefPtr also for Widgets?]

Chris Vine <chris cvine freeserve co uk> wrote:
> On Friday 20 September 2002 2:30 pm, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > You can not use manage() with top-level widgets, such as Windows and
> > Dialogs, and you will see a warning if you try. That just leaves you
> > with all the regular C++ memory management techniques.
>
> This must be a recent change?

It's a few months old. Well, I mean the warning is. It just didn't work
before.

> When I enquired (I think about 6 months ago) I was told that memory for top

> level widgets such as dialogs could be managed with manage(), and that the
> Gtk+ reference counting mechanism would deal with it (I got a firm put-down

> from Karl Nelson saying that this did not give rise to a memory leak when I

> suggested that it might).

Karl doesn't know much about gtkmm2. It might work with gtkmm 1.2. I don't
know. It can not work with gtkmm2 and can not easily be made to work with
gtkmm2.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net